Saturday, September 4, 2010

The return of my SLR

Just so that everybody knows, SLR stands for Single-Lens Reflex camera. :D and speaking of SLRs, i own one. It's the Nikon D60. And during the summer of 2010 around april-may, MY SLR BROKE. here's the story.

During the holy week, we decided to stay in our house in laguna and go jetskiing in Caliraya (for those who don't know where caliraya is, it's in lumban, laguna). Caliraya's a good spot for water sports. It's actually a man-made lake at the top of a mountain and it's a source of hydroelectric power and creepy water myths, too. While jetskiing and enjoying the sceneries of the place and taking pictures of the vicinity WHILE on the jetski, the ski's engine suddenly broke down. It was a disaster. I had to wait under the sun in the middle of the lake with my camera and my phone for a miracle to happen. and the stupid me forgot to apply sunblock on, which explains this.


After 30mins of waiting and desperately paddling my feet in the waters, expecting that it would actually help me reach land, two guys on a jetski came to my rescue. they tied a rope on my ski so they could pull it using theirs. BUT, when they turned right, my jetski didn't maneuver towards their direction. so they were pulling my jetski on its side. i was already shouting at them but didn't hear me. SO the end of the story, i fell off the ski because it toppled over. I was holding my slr, got wet but not soaked, and it hit the side of the ski. I was hoping it wasnt wrecked. But when i reached land already, man, the flash starts smoking when i took pictures.

This is the last picture i took before the debacle

and this is the distorted picture i took after the disaster (see how bad the lighting is :\)

My SLR was abandoned for almost 4 months. I didn't have it repaired mainly because I was too stubborn to go to CUBAO and have it fixed. That's one thing that sucks about Nikon. They have limited service centers unlike Canon.

And amazingly, i conquered my stubbornness. Just a week ago, i had it repaired already, and my SLR's usable once again! It cost me around 6K (3750 for the actual service repair, and about 2k for the missing parts). I actually missed taking random photos, so as my first victim/model, i took pictures of my ever beloved yaya!

I don't really know if it's me, or my camera has really not fully recovered from the bruises and injuries it got from the tragedy. i know i'm not a photographer, but i feel there's something wrong with it STILL especially with the focus. :\
OOOOR. It's really just my yaya's face that makes me think there's something wrong with the camera. :3 :))


So to those who have wrecked SLRs, please don't prolong the agony of your SLRs. They have feelings too you know. Have it immediately fixed (that's what the girl from the service center told me) to avoid further wreckage while inside your stock cabinet. And try investing on these cameras. they're worth the cash especially when you know that you can take snapshots of every good moment you have. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment